Tuesday, July 10, 2007

ECU Library Learning 2.0 - My Thoughts

Just because I can...This was my first ever digital photo...Kings Park WA - Fraser Ave.

Hi

My final task for this program is to share some thoughts with you about the Learning 2.0 program. I have found the discovery approach ideal and have enjoyed the social networking aspect of this program. I have had a great time working with our pilot group of staff and look forward to sharing the program with the rest ofthe staff next semester.


What have you personally learned from this program?

Participating in this program has reinforced how much I enjoy working with people. I have learned some useful skills and had fun at the same time. There is so much information, that tagging was a welcome skill as it made finding information that I was looking for easier. I think the idea of some organization appealed to the librarian in me and also because of the efficiency aspect, although I do enjoy serendipidity from time to time. A place to manage your sites and your passwords is also useful.


What have you learned about yourself, others and the organizationin which you work?

I have found that the organization in which I work is filled with people who are interested in others and what they are doing and are willing to contribute in any way they can. through this program I have had support from instructional designers, learning development staff and academic staff. ECU has a key focus in engaging students, so others in the organization are interested in social networking tools and how they may be used in an educational setting.


The pilot group was a great group of early adopters that embraced the program and helped us learn from each other. I think they shouldall be proud of their achievements.


I related to the discovery learning aspect of this program as you learned as you used the technology. Many of the activities involved using the technology and at the same time exposed you to others output and so couldexperience and particpate in the whole social networking idea. As a library we have always embraced engaging with our students, however, these technologies take us out of our safety zone and expose us to a greater degree of engagement than we have previously experienced.


What was the most important skill you learned and why?

I liked the Blog as it could be used as an effective reflective journal. The most important skill I learned was that social networking was key to engaging others. Tagging was important to facilitate getting connected to others with like ideas. How current library technologies were often restrictive was also reinforced. This maybe linked to pricing structures used. Many of the Web 2.0 technologies required passwords to access, so it is not this aspect that is the problem. I think this one needs more thought.


What action will you try now if any?

I would like to try a number of things. Firstly, encourage the Library to replace its Web news with a Blog News so that we can get direct comment from our users.


Secondly, investigate replacing our subject guides with a subject Wik, so that we have greater flexibility.


Begin a Blog aimed at Faculty or School level as this is a useful diary.


Participate in our ILCommittee approach o provide small learning bites on various subjects covering a range of formats to cater for varying learning styles - podcasts, printed sheet, camtasia PPT etc.


Would students use these technologies as part of the library's online environment?

If the technologies were done well and applied adult learning principles, I am sure students would use them: ie short, well done and relevant. I think students muight enjoy commenting on library news and services as this would be an extension of the library as part of their community.


Is there some specific technology that you would like to see the library adopt?

A news Blog to replace the Web news

Use a Wiki , rather than email when gathering comments from staff on a collaborative project

Develop more podcasts for IL purposes

Adopt corporate tags and a corporate look for some technologies

Collect useful topic podcasts etc. and include as part of subject directories of useful websites


I look forward to hearing others ideas in the focus group meeting with the pilot group. Thank you all for sharing this journey. This program has only been a beginning as there is so many more things which capture ones imagination and need following up. I didn't list them as important, but Flickr and Youtube certainly require further investigation.

ELL

No comments: